Thursday, August 20, 2009

Grease me up!

To this point, I have been treated very well by my Dept. Chair when it comes to workload. I have essentially been given 1.5 years without having to teach an undergrad class (with no teaching at all in my first semester) and my "service" requirements have been very light. Even though my teaching load is still light through the fall semester, I can feel the hammer dropping on the service side. It's been subtle, but people are starting to "suggest" committees, advising, etc. I've been evasive thus far, but it is becoming *known* that I am still not teaching anything to the undergrads. Whenever anyone asks what I am teaching this semester and I tell them, I always get the same reaction. First surprise, then some statement about how easy I've gotten it, then some sort of "good for you" even though I can see that their really thoughts are more along the lines of "you suck."

I'm not going to apologize for either my negotiations, nor my continued discussions with the Chair that have resulted in my current teaching load. I know it'll ramp up eventually but the further I can push that off, the better. And if these grants start to get funded, that will buy me extra leverage for keeping my course load minimal.

But, service. That's a different beast. It's more difficult to account for per se and I have a feeling my colleagues will, consciously or unconsciously, endeavor to make up some of that perceived work gap with service duties. I successfully dodged one University-level committee this morning because it conflicts with a current obligation, but I wonder how long I'll continue to be the greased pig at this country fair.

6 comments:

  1. As I prepare tomorrow's lecture to 180 students: "you suck"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking of a different kind of "grease me up".

    When the hammer does fall, it's gonna be a case of "bender over, butter cup...you sure got a purty mouth...for someone who ain't teached before..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not allowed to commit to anything without asking my chair. I happily hide behind him. After 4 years, I am now using him as the excuse to pick and choose the most visible/highest impact service (with comparatively little work!)

    I ramped up over 3 years to full time teaching. All of us did, so you are just getting what the rest of the good places do for their new hires. I feel no guilt considering the publishing and grants environment that we are having to "grow up" in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope there aren't too many undergrads reading this blog. Else they might get the impression that the professorial class thinks they "suck".

    I work in the private sector - so I have a pretty insignificant "teaching load", and like P-lS I'll not apologize for this lack of teaching assignment. I did some TA work in grad school - and I appreciate how teaching might not be the first thing you want to do when you get up in the morning... but if P-lS and tideliar find it such a "sucking" proposition, might I suggest you've not chosen your line of work as cleverly as you might have?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My response to this comment got too long, so it's now a full post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re: anonymous II.

    Where does it say I think it sucks? Asshat.

    ReplyDelete