Female Science Professor has been tallying up the number of Facebook "Academic Gifts" that she has experienced in her career (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4) and was mildly horrified to have dealt with over 70% of the inane situations that these gifts describe. Reading through the list I recognized quite a few myself, even in my much shorter career as a scientist. But it also got me thinking about what is not on the list. FSP supplied a few of her own, but I thought I might take a stab. Feel free to add on to the list
- Vacationless summer (All too familiar).
- Building malfunction leading to extremes in temperature (It's 58F (14C) in my lab right now. My students have had to bring their coats in from home to wear while working)
- Exceedingly slow-to-respond colleague
- Overly defensive assistants to high-level administrators
- High-level administrator who is sighted less than Elvis
- Building over-run by random conference (I swear the most recent society to hold a meeting here had a completely non-sensical name with made-up words)
- Empty hallway before 9:30 (Seriously, why am I the only one here right now... and for the last hour and a half?)
I'm sure I'll think up others.
2 hours ago