Thursday, August 13, 2009

Forgetting what you knew

Has it really been two years since I was capably using a Unix platform to perform basic functions and run programs? I guess it has. There are few things as depressing as staring blankly at a task your were once able to do, completely unable to recall the basic key strokes that you once took for granted. Damnit, why didn't I keep up on this a little better? Probably because I didn't have this type of data to analyze during that time, so there was no point playing in Unix. Now I have something to work with and no tools to do it and this is not proving to be "like ride a bike". Unless one is prone to falling off.

cd.. Dude/fuck/sigh

3 comments:

  1. I would die without all the how to notes taped to my screen. One says "go eat something.exe" because I forget to eat when I'm staring at lines. jc

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, it is Windows that is like this. I don't know Windows, so I can't seem to find anything. Ever. On my MacBook, I have terminals open all of the time, so I can use Unix. Sadly, when I stick a USB stick in my computer, I often open a terminal and 'cp /Volumes/USBDrive/file ~/Desktop' instead of pointing and clicking. You know you are a freak of nature when you do this crap. At least I don't use Vi :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm getting back into it a bit. I still think I'm going to have to do a bit of a refresher. There's a group of people here in a similar boat, so I think we're going to band together and force each other into learning more unix and programming.

    ReplyDelete