Monday, December 28, 2009

Recompression

Holy shit. I just took a whole week off. Not a week to travel to do work or attend a conference, but a week where I traveled to a warm place and spent time with family (all 37 of them!) and didn't do work. Alright, so there was some work done and that phone call to an NSF PO, but relatively speaking it was a workless week. The first one since starting this job.

It was good. I needed it. But now the serious shit starts again. The only question is where to begin?

There's the minor matter of responding to a couple of small comments on the short piece I turned in two weeks ago. There's the bigger issues of the grants I have due, restrategizing one of them and figuring out if I need to travel over spring break for sampling for the new plan. There's the looming issue of teaching my first class starting towards the end of the month and there are the dozens of little things hanging around like trampled confetti the day after a party.

I'm not going to lie, the next few weeks are going to suck. In a major way. But it was nice to get away for a little bit, to spend time with family and to have all that time to play with the Wee One and hang out with my wife. It was a good week.

Time to clear the cobwebs and dig back in.

5 comments:

  1. Delurking -- I'm a female assistant prof. Workwise my life is remarkably like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were able to take a nice vacation! I'm sure you'll have no problem getting back into the swing of things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back, dude, and Merry Belated Christmas! I'm taking this week off and am definitely not looking forward to going back to work next week. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks PiT, same to you. Yesterday was a bit of a waste, but I'm back on the horse today and analyzing data. Have a good week off.

    ReplyDelete