Thursday, May 14, 2009

The walking wounded

Work is far too frustrating to post about today, so you get a family post instead...

It finally happened. A week ago, the Wee One decided that she'd had enough of crawling and it was time to join the bipedal nation. Without much warning or practice that wasn't forced upon her, she just started walking... and walking... and walking. Suddenly she has halved the time we have to react to her attempts to destroy the house and now almost everything is within reach. They don't tell you in those pregnancy classes that you should start buying furniture with flat surfaces no lower than 4 feet, but you should. Especially if you have the rare combination of a thrower/climber. Some children like to throw things and others enjoy climbing whatever they can get on to and the Wee One has incorporated both traits into her arsenal. I think the only safe storage place right now is the freezer and I'm not sure how long that will last.

The combination of new walking, climbing and throwing things (sometimes directly up so that they come down on her head) has resulted in a child who looks like she's gone toe to toe with Mike Tyson for a few rounds. Everyday she has some new scratch or giant red mark to the point where I think people are questioning call DSS in the grocery store. They go away quickly, but there always seem to be a fresh crop. If she wasn't such a happy kid who spends most of her time in public trying to get strangers to wave back to her, I think we might get more strange looks. We would like to be taking more pictures of her at this stage and would do so if we felt like we could distribute them without concerned phone calls from relatives. Hopefully this is just a phase and I will be able to return the 6 first aid kits I bought yesterday.

4 comments:

  1. As soon as monkey became mobile, I boxed away anything that was valuable or important to me. Then I kept moving things up but he also does the combo climb/throw so I gave up. If it makes you feel better, when monkey first started daycare 1.5 years ago, every time afternoon he had a new scratch or mark. The poor caregivers felt really bad and swore they were watching him (I knew they were) but he was just too fast! Even now, a bloody nose, split lip or busted two is a weekly, if not daily event...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister and I had a very active childhood and even though I'm now the one with the surgical scars it was my sister that used to bruise easily from falling off fences, falling off bikes, falling on concrete etc ... so much so that my parents actually had a call from social services about a very large bruise she had on her upper arm ... they didn't believe that she could have done it by playing tennis in the backyard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Yay for the walking!
    2. With exploration comes badges of glory...I know what you mean, though, about worrying about the number of owies they accrue! My 5-year-old has a cast on his arm right now from falling off the monkey bars (and the day before that, he smashed into one of his friends while playing and got a huge bruise on his temple)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought children were supposed to be clumsy and get into accidents. At least, that's what my parents told me when I asked them where the dent/scar extant on my forehead came from.

    This makes me wonder whether there would be a market for bubble-wrapping onesies for children made of breathable fabric.

    ReplyDelete