Thursday, February 19, 2009

Wrong week to stop sniffing glue

Three days ago I was told that we would be moving to the new building next Friday, the 27th. For a variety of reasons, that day is now not very good for me so I contacted The Guy and asked if it could be moved a little bit one way or the other. Now sooner had I hit send when I get a phone call from The Guy who asked, how about tomorrow. "Um, like this tomorrow?" was my response, as if there was the possibility that he meant another tomorrow, defined in a separate dictionary from the one we generally use for the English language. He paused and said, yeah, like tomorrow. So, at 11:30 AM our lab found out that the people responsible for moving the chemicals were coming in an hour and a half to move our stuff to the new building and that movers will be here at 7:30 tomorrow to move anything we have packed and ready. Since we are actively working we had packed almost nothing, but the advantage to being a new lab is that we are light on our feet (not in our loafers) and spry because we are not encumbered by 22 years of shit built into every crevice. TWO HOURS is all it took to undo all of the setting up I have done for the last 5 months. The whole lab is all boxed up, save for a few items that will not box well and some that I am moving personally. The next step is to clean my office, which will probably take longer than boxing the lab. It will be great to move over to the new building, but I will be the only one on the floor for at least a week, aside from my students, and there will surely be some issues associated with being the guinea pig. Little things like not having a photocopier in the building for the next couple of weeks are probably going to drive me crazy, but it's temporary. I'm hoping we can set up and be working again early next week. What are the chances? At least it gave me a great excuse to cancel class for tomorrow since I am completely unprepared to teach this week thanks to Godzilla. This is one of the better distractions I can think of right now.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds frustrating...moving, godzilla- might be a GREAT time to start huffing paint (and cancel class).

    ReplyDelete
  2. uuuugh moving! Would you like some koolaid with that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, class got cancelled. No way I was juggling everything at once. That's the beauty of a grad class though, I can push everything back a week and no one cares.

    I probably should have mentioned that the title of the post is a reference to the movie Airplane, lest people unversed in that genera think I am getting creative in my escape mechanisms.

    ReplyDelete