Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I wasn't ready

Last year the start of the semester was a blur. Everything was new and the onslaught of things to deal with when the semester started was all part of that. I had no point of comparison, so I was ready for anything. Plus, everyone pretty much left me alone to set up my new lab. I was the new guy muttering to himself in a mostly empty room.

As the year wore on I picked up responsibilities gradually and layered them on my workload. The lab also gradually got going and each step was new success. By the time summer rolled around, things were going pretty well and I was getting ready to do a bunch of traveling. Summer was good. Lots of work got done and I finally started feeling like I knew what the hell I am doing in this job. I had the people and procedures figured out and even felt like I could stay on top of the literature without having to do it at night.

Then the summer ended.



I should have been better prepared, but I wasn't. Everything rushed in like a freight train and I saw my precious time dragged down by a feeding frenzy of obligations. Suddenly there are meetings about other meetings. I'm lucky if I get a couple of hours here or there where I can think about the work that I have to get done for me and not for everyone else who needs something. I did not plan well for the transition from summer to semester and now I'm being feasted upon.

7 comments:

  1. Me, too! Last week, there were three meetings scheduled on the same day at the same time! So I couldn't even go to two of them and I'm sure that will count against me. Sheesh.

    Perfect graphic, PLS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god, me three (or is it four)!!!!!

    You just wrote my next blog post. I haven't even had time to blog about it, because this is the first time in about a week and a half that I've been able to sit at my computer for longer than 5 minutes without having to run to another meeting.

    JEEEBUS!!!! It's insane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so perfect. Except that my zebra is still struggling and suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the "meeting" gator going directly for the crotch was appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was all "dude needs anatomy lessons" until I realised there are TWO meeting gators! (or are those crocs?)

    ReplyDelete