Friday, July 2, 2010

Bathroom humor

I've done a decent amount of traveling in my life - certainly less than many, but I've hit some odd places. One thing it is easy to take for granted is the different styles and ways society has come up with to drop a deuce. There is far more variety than one might expect and you get to see a few prominent versions as you travel around.

The hole-in-floor model is just a bad idea. I've spent an unfortunate evening after some bad calamari in Greece with one of these models, and the results were not good. Why anyone would decide that balance should be a critical feature of using the bathroom, I will never understand.

I'm also not a fan of the bidet. I'm sure if you're used to it everything works out fine, but seriously, I'm good without a cold stream of water on my ass in the morning.

However, never have I seen the toilet take to the heights it is here in Japan. Call me old fashion, but if I'm in the bathroom I'm not looking for a conversation, so why does the toilet talk? These fucking things have more buttons than my home entertainment system. This morning I accidentally got a frontal bidet (don't hit the pink button!) and I'm not looking to repeat that situation any time soon. When did the toilet become the most technologically advanced item in a hotel room. There is no wireless internet here, the TV is the size of the Apple II and the shower is plugged into the sink, but I can have a conversation with my toilet? I don't think I like where this is going.

6 comments:

  1. Don't make it mad. Soon we'll have the HAL9000 toilet ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it's going down the crapper...

    (I'm sorry...I couldn't help it.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!! That still sounds infinitely better than the squat-toilet situation (which I had the pleasure of dealing with on a 4 day hike along the Inca Trail, with 5000 other people, and no one to clean anything).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, Japan has the best of both worlds: futuristic models that should come with manuals in shopping centres and hotels, and holes in the ground in smaller train stations and on overnight trains... You think balancing is hard when the ground is stable - try it on a rocking train!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I once went to a (French) restaurant in Vancouver that had Japanese-style toilets, with buttons and automatically revolving seat covers etc. Oh, and all the buttons were labelled in Japanese. I was wondering why the queue was moving so slowly, and then when I finally got in, I spent about 10 minutes playing with all the settings! Awesome fun!

    ReplyDelete

  6. Thanks For The Content..Really Good
    More of Similar Content,Check The Link

    ReplyDelete