Monday, May 3, 2010

A step in the right direction

When I got my mail on Friday there was a letter from our research office. I had submitted a proposal for a small internal competition a while back to cover a grad student summer salary and a trip this summer and seeing the letter I knew that the decision was contained within. With the trail of proposals currently lying dead in my wake I immediately assumed that I was going to add this one to the pile, but was pleasantly surprised to find out that the proposal has been funded.

This is the same competition I applied for last year with too much data and too promising a project. So, this year I changed my approach and used a different project and was more explicit about how this money would help obtain funding in the future. Obviously, that made a difference and now I can spend the start-up money I had earmarked for the student and trip on other things.

It's a small victory, but a good first step.

8 comments:

  1. Yay, congrats. Hope your student gets you some good data.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! it might be a small step, but it's an important one. It's the beginning of your funding track record.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet. I sense a turn around of your luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'll see if this translates into more, but at the very least it is one good piece of mail in a sea of rejection.

    ReplyDelete